'Nuts' and 'Front' covers.

As 'inspiration' I, awkwardly bought some 'lads mags'.
I found it interesting how graphically different two of them were;

Nuts;
Front;
I believe Nuts is the more mainstream magazine of the two, but (from a girls perspective) it looks cheaper, it kind of looks a bit like the cover of a girls gossip mag (heat etc.) has just been 'invaded' by nearly naked girls. Front is the more alternative of the two but graphically, I think this 'style' suits my design practice more; hand rendered type, more 'boyish' colour pallette (blue).

Interestingly, Front is now owned by a 24 year old (multi-millionaire) British male, so he feels confident in his magazine as he is almost aiming it at himself - he is the maker and the audience.
His opinion on why Front is better than Nuts is; Nuts presents girls in a 'very distasteful' way. "The girls in Front are very cool and edgy. They are not looking to date a footballer, they are into tattoos and indie music."

But the both still address; Sport and games etc.

I'm ignoring Nuts, as the audience is bigger...but in terms of Graphic approach, I believe I will take most inspiration from Front.

No comments:

Post a Comment